[unisog] Defending Administrative Rights policy

Paul FM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Fri Oct 5 18:02:29 GMT 2007

One side note.  If your users need admin rights to format a floppy disk, then
there is something wrong with the configuration of the machine (there is a
security policy which allows interactive users to format removable disks).

On our side (this is only one department), we have over 60 applications (some
with multiple versions - for example Proe [3 versions], Ansys[3 versions],
Moldflow [3 versions]) which are useable on pretty much every one of our
Windows Machines.  We absolutely don't allow admin access to any desktop
machines with multiple users (and those one user laptops we allow admin
access, are NOT on the domain - I get an e-mail every time any administrator
logs on to any managed machine).   We do allow people to run their own
machines (of course they become responsible for it and have to adhere to the
overall University policies about connecting machines to the network).
We also basically firewall (within reason) our entire network against the
rest of the University and the Internet (really cuts down on problems - P-P,
external break-ins, etc).

Of course - if you are really serious about these sorts of policies - you
should enforce them on your home machine as well (I run my personal home
machine following the same policies I use at work - incuding an external
firewall to the internet).  It will make you understand how those policies
affect a regular user and help you understand when exceptions are needed (and
when they really aren't).