[unisog] OS Vuln Scanners

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at unm.edu
Fri Apr 18 16:28:00 GMT 2008

Kevin Lanning wrote:
> I'd appreciate info from list members regarding best products in this
> category from your real life experience as a security professional in
> higher ed.
>
> thanks,

In higher ed, I can't answer.. At my previous employment we used several
suites to get different answers and guidelines. I found that nessus was
the best able to give a 'good-enough' answer for large networks. We were
 also mandated to use a specific version of ISS that was quite
troublesome. It would require us to re-install the Windows boxes that it
ran on after every run. However this was more of an auditing problem on
our end of needing to use one specific version. I have heard that ISS's
newer appliance approach is more stable, but have no exact data currently.

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
  Phone: (505) 277-8219  Email: smooge at unm.edu