[unisog] Suspicious Files

Bob Henry bhenry at boisestate.edu
Mon Dec 8 19:18:54 GMT 2008

One of our Housing office computer techs sent me the following
question and I'd like to know what members of this list think.  Has
anyone bumped into this and what did you do?  I've forwarded the
question to legal as well.

A student brought his computer to the Student Housing computer support
people for repairs.  The computer wouldn't boot and the student told
the Housing technicians they could format the drive if they needed to.
 The technician managed to boot the computer from its existing
configuration.  On the computer, the technician found many pictures of
jet airplanes, interior and exterior pictures of Boise skyscrapers,
pictures of the presidents planes, videos of planes crashing, pictures
of airports, pictures of the walkways from the airport, a connection
to American airlines flights.

What are our responsibilities for handling this information?  Can we
present it to law enforcement or would we be violating the 4th
amendment?

--
Robert Henry, CISSP, GCIH, GCFA
Information Security Officer