[unisog] Suspicious Files

Joshua Krage jkrage at guisarme.us
Tue Dec 9 06:32:53 GMT 2008

4th Amendment most likely doesn't apply as the student voluntarily turned
over the computer and asked for assistance.  Law Enforcement can usually
accept anything under the Best Evidence guideline.

Given the variety of Education-related issues such as internal policy and
previously-set expecations via formal communications, legal issues at local
and state levels, your best *legal* guide will be your legal office.  You're
already asking, so good.

*Ethically* you've signed up (CISSP) to "Protect society, the commonwealth,
and the infrastructure".  Depending on what you and staff are seeing, if you
believe a threat exists, you should be reporting it.

If the theme you described is dominant across all of the photos on the
drive, it does seem suspicious.  If they're a small subset of a variety of
other themes, the judgement call may be trickier.

Since you're asking the question, something is triggering an instinct or
reaction.  IME, these are generally correct.