[unisog] Suspicious Files

Trevor Odonnal trevoro at byu.edu
Tue Dec 9 15:20:21 GMT 2008

Since you aren't law enforcement, and you had permission from the owner to be accessing the computer, this wouldn't be a violation of the 4th amendment.  The 4th amendment deals with unreasonable search and seizure by law enforcement or government authorities.  Even officers of the law aren't required to get a search warrant if they stumble on evidence of illegal activity during the regular course of their duties.  There MIGHT be an issue under your state's privacy statutes, but I wouldn't think this would apply unless you were snooping around the drive for the heck of it.  The real question here is how much do you think what you have found is evidence of illegal activity?  If you feel strongly that someone ought to know about it, contact law enforcement and tell them the facts as you have told us.  They know what to do as far as warrants and such.

Trevor O'Donnal CISSP, CCFS, GREM
Network Security Analyst
Brigham Young University
(801) 422-1477