[unisog] DNS Manager?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at unm.edu
Fri Feb 1 16:12:50 GMT 2008

Shawn L wrote:
> Just wondering what everyone is using for a dns manager.  We currently
> just use flat files and bind.  Update the
> file, restart bind, rsync to the other master, and restart.  We're
> currently looking at writing something that stores the
> info in a database then writes out the files as needed, but were
> wondering if anyone has a better way of doing it.

We are using the commercial tool Men and Mice from
http://menandmice.com/. It has a web interface with a syntax checker to
allow non-BIND gurus access to the file. It has a 'windows' interface so
we can administer in depth. It allows us to administer the slaves and
soon the dhcp servers. [There are probably lots of tools that do this,
but this is the one we are using and we are happy with it.]

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
  Phone: (505) 277-8219  Email: smooge at unm.edu