[unisog] DNS Manager?

Alexander Clouter alex-unisog at digriz.org.uk
Sat Feb 2 02:48:01 GMT 2008

Hi,

Cal Frye <cjf at calfrye.com> [20080201 11:40:56 -0500]:

> > > [snipped DNS query]
> >
> > Urgh, the rest of us use LDAP :)
> >
> > http://bind9-ldap.bayour.com/
> >

> Hm. Could you help me see the advantage in using LDAP for this? I'm not
> sure I follow...

The pros:

1. no need for reloads when you change your zones
2. simple delegation to departments through LDAP ACL's
3. tollerant of errors (just ignores borked records) and hard for someone to
	break a zone file
4. DDNS can be replaced with ldapmodify from everywhere (DDNS is only
	avaliable on non-LDAPed zone files)
5. run file and LDAP zone files along side each other
6. backups, restores and diff's  are dead easy from any machine that has
	access to your ldap server
7. use any GUI ldap browser/editor or go hardcore with ldapmodify and/or
	ldapvi

It floats our boat, I'll be surprised if it does not float anyone elses. :)

Cheers

Alex

--
/ Beware of friends who are false and \