[unisog] Blacklisted by Hotmail

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 12 09:24:37 GMT 2008

Tim

sorry, no help for you on the hotmail front.  But I can commiserate.
Spammers got into our web mail system and I spent a large part of the
weekend playing whack a mole as they compromised one account after
another.  On Monday I figured how to get the hashes from the ldap
directory and and decode time into a form that JTR would accepts.  A
very short time after that 153 accounts had their passwords reset and
that was just the really blatant ones!

Yesterday we had mail bounced from a few sites that had really
ferocious setting on their ironport boxes including a couple of local
govt science organisations.  Senderbase (the ironport system) seemed
to correct fairly quickly one I managed to shutdown the spammers and
with in six hours we were back to 'neutral'

BTW have you considered joining ren-isac -- www.ren-isac.net.  It's
really good value and funded by US DHS.  Almost entirely US sites
(nearly all the big names are there).  Membership is personal, not
institutional.  You must be full time security responsibility at an
academic institution.  You need two current members to vouch that you
satisfy conditions.

Biggest benefit is the mailing list which is closed (members only) and
with a very strict no sharing policy.  You can safely post intimate
details of stuff you need advice on with no fear that it is going to
turn up in the papers or find its way into malicious hands.

As far as I'm concerned it is the best resource I have.

I assume you know Mark Borrie from Otago who could also vouch for
you.  (bojan would too but his membership is temporarily suspended
while he is on extended leave).   There may well be other members who
know you well enough to vouch for you.

Russell