[unisog] Joining REN-ISAC hurdle

Ken Connelly Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
Wed Feb 13 01:53:14 GMT 2008

Cal Frye wrote:
> David and David,
> The REN-ISAC membership grows, albeit slowly. Please try again; for it's
> always possible that those who could vouch for your membership may have
> just become members themselves. Look to your local security groups or
> other opportunities with nearby campuses to become known to colleagues
> who may be able to vouch for your membership. The UC system is fairly
> well represented, if I recall correctly, Idaho may be less so, I'm
> afraid. I agree it can be frustrating, but it's not that folks are
> penalized or being rejected, merely that they failed to be admitted in
> previous attempts. It's difficult to build a trusted community otherwise.

Lousy fat fingers...  Hopefully the moderators are paying attention and
won't let my previous empty post go through.  As I was trying to say...

I second Cal's sentiments and would add that attending conferences is a
good way to get that personal networking over the hump.  The Educause
Security Professionals Conference is an excellent choice.  Not only are
there *good* topics presented by peers, it's also relatively
inexpensive.  This year's event is in early May (4-6) in Arlington, VA.
I understand that REN-ISAC members will be identified as such on their
badges, so it will be easier to pick us out of the crowd.  Introduce
yourself to a few members and/or attend the BoF and I suspect the
necessary vouches will materialize.

Another good networking opportunity is a SANS-EDU conference.  They're
much smaller than the traditional SANS events, and also *much* cheaper.
The one being offered at Virginia Tech in March (3-8) is $700 for the
week.  Not all SANS-EDU events are quite that low-priced, but most are
at least 50% off.  Chances are good that there will be at least a few
REN-ISAC members in attendance.

- ken