[unisog] LDAP access for 3rd parties

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Wed Feb 13 16:58:52 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 08:10:14AM -0800, Brian Friday wrote:

> I would be surprised if anyone gives full read access to their ldap
> tree to any vendors. Y

You don't have to.

> Every external vendor I have worked with takes the password supplied
> by the "user",

and BANG!  They have a userid and password.  If you're a place
with a single userid/password for most applications, there could
be a fair amount of value to it.

A better scheme would be sending control to university machine, which
accepts the credentials and then sends the 3rd party a yes/no... Similar
to how it is done with some types of credit card verifications.

--
Pete Hickey                          October Blend:
The University of Ottawa               The duck