[unisog] Joining REN-ISAC hurdle

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at unm.edu
Wed Feb 13 16:18:17 GMT 2008

John Kristoff wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:01:39 -0800
> "David Lundy" <dlundy at pacific.edu> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I am in fact the person that gets occasional rem-isac notices of
>> security issues from our campus and those are appreciated.  Emails that
>> encourage membership are frustrating to me.
>
> David, and others in a similiar position,
>
> I'm a memmber of the REN-ISAC technical advisory group (TAG) and while
> I cannot speak on their behalf rest assured TAG and all of REN-ISAC
> recognize your frustation and this problem in general.  There are some
> changes under discussion and proposed to remedy the situation.  It is
> more than just a consideration a this stage.
>
> I'll make sure this topic remains at the top of REN-ISAC's "to fix" list
> and that REN-ISAC works hard to get this done sooner than later.
>
> Since you're not too far from San Jose, if you can get out there for
> even part of the day for this event:
>
>   <http://www.nanog.org/>
>
> Shoot me an email off-list.  I believe at least a couple of REN-ISAC
> members are attending and I'll help arrange a time for you to have a
> lunch with them or something.  I think it would help you a great deal.
> Shoot me an email offlist if you are interested.

Is it possible that REN-ISAC could look at doing background checks (with
the applicant paying for it) instead of the 2 vouching members. I know
my organization has 1 REN-ISAC person and but I think the next one is
over 6 hours driving away which does not really build up a relationship
that I would count as 'strong' relationship. This doesn't relate much to
me as I am not 100% security aligned so wouldn't qualify anyway...
however, the actual security organization is growing and the other
people will need to be able to join so that our 1 guy can take a vacation.

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
  Phone: (505) 277-8219  Email: smooge at unm.edu