[unisog] Joining REN-ISAC hurdle

David Matusiak matusiak at uidaho.edu
Wed Feb 13 18:06:31 GMT 2008

On 2/12/08 5:53 PM, "Ken Connelly" <Ken.Connelly at uni.edu> wrote:
> Cal Frye wrote:
>> David and David,
>> The REN-ISAC membership grows, albeit slowly. Please try again; for it's
>> always possible that those who could vouch for your membership may have
>> just become members themselves. Look to your local security groups or
>> other opportunities with nearby campuses to become known to colleagues
>> who may be able to vouch for your membership. The UC system is fairly
>> well represented, if I recall correctly, Idaho may be less so, I'm
>> afraid. I agree it can be frustrating, but it's not that folks are
>> penalized or being rejected, merely that they failed to be admitted in
>> previous attempts. It's difficult to build a trusted community otherwise.
>
> I second Cal's sentiments and would add that attending conferences is a
> good way to get that personal networking over the hump.  The Educause
> Security Professionals Conference is an excellent choice.  Not only are
> there *good* topics presented by peers, it's also relatively
> inexpensive.  This year's event is in early May (4-6) in Arlington, VA.
> I understand that REN-ISAC members will be identified as such on their
> badges, so it will be easier to pick us out of the crowd.  Introduce
> yourself to a few members and/or attend the BoF and I suspect the
> necessary vouches will materialize.
>
> Another good networking opportunity is a SANS-EDU conference.  They're
> much smaller than the traditional SANS events, and also *much* cheaper.
> The one being offered at Virginia Tech in March (3-8) is $700 for the
> week.  Not all SANS-EDU events are quite that low-priced, but most are
> at least 50% off.  Chances are good that there will be at least a few
> REN-ISAC members in attendance.
>
> - ken

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses!  I am glad that I piped up here
because through "The Power of the Internet" I was enlightened to the fact
that many folks I've known for years are now members of REN-ISAC and are
willing to vouch for me.  This is great news and means I will be
resubmitting my application again today.  As noted by Cal Frye, Idaho does
not have as much representation as some other areas, but Washington State
University is only a few miles away and we are working to foster a
relationship with their security personnel.

I have not had the pleasure of attending either EDUCAUSE or NANOG
conferences, but I hope to in the future.  I was fortunate enough to go to
SANS-EDU at Virginia Tech in March 2003 where I met a bunch of great people,
including the hardworking coordinator Randy Marchany.  These events are a
bargain and a good opportunity to meet others in the educational realm.
Does anyone know of any SANS-EDU events out West?   Thanks again!

David M.

--
David Matusiak
ITS Security Analyst, GSEC