[unisog] REN-ISAC membership

Doug Pearson dodpears at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 3 16:12:12 GMT 2008

Steve,

We're on track to implement changes to the membership model this summer,
but before I go into that, just to set the record straight, "exchanged
business cards [...] outside a poster session" doesn't meet our
expectation of the necessary knowledge and relationship that can lead to
a vouch of personal trust - as required for membership.

About the upcoming changes, I don't want to go into all the details just
yet, we'll be talking it up officially very soon, but the essence is
that there will be a tiered membership. At the first tier, a CIO or
equivalent can point at a person who meets the job profile and say
"that's my REN-ISAC 'General' member". The second tier ('XSec') requires
expression of personal trust from existing members, similar to today.
Information sharing will be conducted appropriate to the level of trust
in each tier.

Hope that helps. Expect to see much more on this very soon.

Regards,

Doug Pearson
Technical Director, REN-ISAC
http://www.ren-isac.net