[unisog] REN-ISAC membership

Wes Young wcyoung at buffalo.edu
Fri Jul 4 02:29:39 GMT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 2:51 PM, steve.smith at gcmail.maricopa.edu wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply, I appreciate it. REN-ISAC, and Educause
> in general
> are a sore subject with me at the moment. I've been denied funding
> for training
> or to attend Blackhat/Defcon since I'm "obviously" not making an
> effort to
> become involved with those fine organizations.
>
> If you look back to the archives (Feb 20-ish 2008, for example) at
> previous
> discussions you'll invariably see advice from members to "go to an
> Educause
> event, chat with some people, and you'll get your two vouches!".

> Having previously held a Top Secret clearance from the Army and
> working at
> the same campus for 20 years doesn't make me "trusted", but some
> yahoo's
> snap judgement in a hallway apparently does. As I've mentioned in
> years past,
> "there's a problem there".

Going to Educause doesn't get you two vouches, it helps get you in
touch with the .edu community. It's a pathway for building
relationships. Relationships are _key_ here. Not to sound arrogant, I
know people with clearance and that have experience, that doesn't mean
I personally trust them, nor does it mean I would trust them with _my_
institutions sensitive information. Trust communities are hard to
build, a small crack in the trust can destroy the entire community.
Personally, it took me a year or two of relationship development to
build a circle of trust with my peers, attending conferences, working
with others on forensic investigation via unisog, etc. It's a long and
difficult process. With your 20 years experience I find it hard to
believe you haven't build extended relationships within the university
community...

> I do hope that change is in the works. I'd also point out, though,
> that you
> told me nearly the same thing last July, so I'm not holding my
> breath just
> yet.

Comments like this are destructive and ignorant. The process is
difficult and slow, most process development of this magnitude and
complexity is... Just the nature of the beast. People are hard at work
trying to fix some of these issues and I can imagine comments like
this can be discouraging to their efforts. Someone with your
experience should know that.
--
Wes Young
Network Security Analyst