[unisog] good/cheap usb drives with encryption

Noah Abrahamson nbfa at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 9 20:19:30 GMT 2008

On Jul 9, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Mark Monroe wrote:

> I am looking for some good and cheap usb drives with decent
> encryption.
> I have a department that wants to use them, but does not like the
> ironkey option for $70 - $80 a drive.

Hi, Mark. That's a tall order, but Kingston makes 1 Gigabyte USB 2
flash drives with hardware-based 256 AES encryption for under US$60.
You can check them out at <http://www.kingston.com/flash/
dt_secure.asp>. Unfortunately, it's Windows-only.

If your users are on Macs, any old USB keychain can support a
stretchable, 256 AES encrypted disk image. Simply create one using the
included Disk Utility application on Mac OS X.  It's exceptionally
simple, and Mac OS X provides a password strength-o-meter for the user
(who can optionally store that password in her or his secure Keychain).

Noah

Noah Abrahamson
Stanford University