[unisog] Traffic Shapers

Matt Ashfield mda at unb.ca
Wed Jul 16 12:32:33 GMT 2008

We've been using a PacketShaper for the past 4-5 years and it has worked
well. We haven't had to do too much tuning. The problem we've run into
lately is that we need to upgrade our box because our linksize is being
upgraded.
Packeteer was recently bought by BlueCoat. This has caused some uneasiness
on the Packeteer EDU mailing list about the future of the product as well as
pricing.

We've been looking at a replacement to our box, and others we've looked at
in addition to Packeteer are Allot NetEnforcer and Procera PacketLogic. The
Procera box seems to be getting very favourable reviews from people I've
talked to at other institutions.

Cheers

Matt
mda at unb.ca