[unisog] Traffic Shapers

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Jul 16 13:25:50 GMT 2008

> I will need to procure a traffic shaper soon. I have it narrowed down to
> Packeteer and NetEqulizer. Besides the large difference in pricing, does
> anyone have any pro/cons for either device? I have heard Packeteer
> requires frequent fine tuning.

We use Packeteer here on campus. I've used NetEq in a residential
broadband application. This is apples/oranges though in terms of
bandwidth though .. I can't speak to how NetEq scales, but we have
Packeteer doing gigE here.

The technology is more or less the same (eg: use a custom Linux kernel
to slow down certain packets through various means) but the UI and
support on Packeteer is better. That is, of course, what explains the
$50k difference in cost. Any traffic management solution requires tuning
.. despite what the sales guy/gal may say, no gizmo exists that has a
config checkbox for "make everyone happy" .. if you think Packeteer
takes more tuning, that's only because it has more options.

NetEqualizer is based on the open-source project "Linux Bandwidth
Arbritrator" .. http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/ .. If you're handy
with Linux and iptables (and don't mind editing the config as text, as
the UI is what you pay for in the commercial version) .. play with it
and see what you think. I don't know how well maintained that is ..
seems the last update was in 2005.

Good luck.

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University