[unisog] Web Hosted Apps

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 22 04:56:20 GMT 2008

On 21/07/2008, at 11:48 PM, William Yang wrote:

> I'll readily say that Google Docs is cool and the price can't be
> beat...
> but I would be very concerned about the implications of using
> something
> like Google Docs on data that's protected by FERPA, HIPAA, or that
> falls in
> other regulated spaces.

As others have pointed out these are straight business decisions --
you weigh up the costs/risks against the returns/savings and make your
call.  In our case we decided that outsourcing our undergraduate email
to Google had a lot going for it.  Staff mail on the other hand we
will continue to handle in house -- PostGraduates will have a choice
of systems and some may have to use internal systems if project they
are working on involve sensitive data.

We went live with Google two weeks ago (second semester started
yesterday) and so far we are very happy.  There are still some stuff
to do with reporting etc. which we need to work through and I'm sure
we will fine the odd fish hook -- but our existing horde system had
lots of nasty sharp bits too.

Russell