[unisog] Anyone have procmail script for sanity checking submissions to spam assassin bayesian stuff?

Andy Feldt feldt at nhn.ou.edu
Mon Mar 10 21:31:01 GMT 2008

Russell Fulton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Currently we eyeball all the missed spam that we feed back to the
> Bayesian engine in spam assassin because we get folk forwarding stuff
> from the VC and departmental mailling lists.  We also need to make
> sure that submissions have full headers etc.
>
> This is becoming seriously onerous and needs to be automated.
>
> What do others do?
>
> Russell.

We found that very few of our users were willing to tag e-mails as ham/spam.
We turned off the Bayesian filtering and found that (based on word-of-mouth
reports and a measurable drop in clean messages delivered) we appear to have
actually improved the effectiveness of SpamAssassin for our users.

Of course, if you actually have good input from your users, one would expect
that the use of Bayesian filters should be more effective than our approach.
But, you might experiment with turning it off...

Andy

--
Andy Feldt
Senior System Support Programmer