[unisog] When you really need to blast email

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Tue Mar 11 20:44:12 GMT 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Hunt,Keith A wrote:

> Would it help if you set up a separate mail host used only for this purpose?
>
> --
> Keith Hunt  330.972.7968  keith at uakron.edu
> Internet & Server Systems
> The University of Akron

A separate mailhost may be subject to delays by MTAs that are suspicious
of newly encountered mail sources, which is a reasonable anti-spam
strategy.

Seriously, isn't this an application for the traditional air-raid/tornado
siren mounted on a utility pole? Growing up in St Louis, the tornado
sirens blanketed the city and suburbs and were test sounded at noon on the
first of every month, so we were all aware that they were there. My
understanding was that they were supplied and maintained by the phone or
electric utility, and the city was charged a few dollars per month per
siren. Of course, you still need a method to get specific information, but
between the campus radio and web site, shouldn't that be sufficient?

More information is available at

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_defense_siren
   http://www.americansignal.com/outdoor_warning.php

Daniel Feenberg