[unisog] When you really need to blast email

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Tue Mar 11 20:58:53 GMT 2008

Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> Seriously, isn't this an application for the traditional air-raid/tornado
> siren mounted on a utility pole? Growing up in St Louis, the tornado
> sirens blanketed the city and suburbs and were test sounded at noon on the
> first of every month, so we were all aware that they were there. My
> understanding was that they were supplied and maintained by the phone or
> electric utility, and the city was charged a few dollars per month per
> siren. Of course, you still need a method to get specific information, but
> between the campus radio and web site, shouldn't that be sufficient?

Here in Oberlin, which is something of a company town, I think we could
get away with that ;-)

Michael's in downtown Cleveland, and I suspect there's lots of hoops one
would have to jump through just to put up a tornado siren, let alone use
it for /anything but/ an actual tornado. Can't confuse the random
passers-by, now, can we? (let alone interrupt a baseball game down the
street).

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

    www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent." --Issac Asimov.