[unisog] A couple network questions

Stephen Backholm Stephen.Backholm at wwu.edu
Thu Mar 13 19:35:25 GMT 2008

1. ~1300 @ perimeter, ~10 @ distribution layer, ~1500 for high security
zones
2. ~200
3. up to a \22 subnet
4. not a vendor limit

Regards,
Stephen Backholm

Network Operating Systems Manager
Telecommunication Services, AC 215A
Western Washington University
stephen.backholm at wwu.edu
360.650.2768 phone
360.788.0568 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: unisog-bounces at lists.dshield.org
[mailto:unisog-bounces at lists.dshield.org] On Behalf Of Brian Friday
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:46 PM
To: UNIversity Security Operations Group
Subject: [unisog] A couple network questions

Hi All,

We have a unnamed vendor making some unique claims and I wanted to get
your input or thoughts since their claims were rather broad.

1) On average how many lines do you use for the security policies on
your routers/switches? In the event you would rather not say an exact
number is it greater than 150 or less than 150 lines?

2) How many vlans do you have on your network?

3) How many nodes do you have per vlan?

4) Is the limit you have on nodes a vendor limitation or a limitation
you have put in place for management reasons?

Many thanks I will post a summary to the list two days from now.

Brian Friday
Manager, La Sierra University's IT: Infrastructure Department
Tel: (951) 785-2900 / Fax: (951) 785-2908
Riverside, CA 92515
Email: bfriday at lasierra.edu

Infrastructure: It is the telephone on your desk, the wires in your
walls, the email you check daily, and the network that ties it all
together.