[unisog] rendezvous storm?

Fred Portnoy fportnoy at mail.plymouth.edu
Thu May 8 18:20:33 GMT 2008

If this has already been covered to death, please give me a hint where to find it in the archives.

We sometimes get wiped out by a Windows machine on our network spewing large numbers of packets per second aimed at multicast address 224.0.0.251 using UDP 5353. I can see such traffic as part of the background noise which seems to be about media sharing .... but once it a while it rises to apparently unhealthy heights, as it seems to be co-incident with our router spiking at 100% CPU and ceasing to forward traffic for a while.

Can anyone point us to more knowledge on this subject?

thanks

-fp

Fred Portnoy
Network Analyst
Plymouth State University

"unfettered by edgy modernisms, or classical influences"