[unisog] [Security-l] Differentiating Between Real and Phishing Emails to Staff and Students

Leigh Vincent l.vincent at ballarat.edu.au
Tue May 13 05:24:49 GMT 2008

Hey Tim,
At UB we send out any ICT specific notifications using a standard email
template and the subjects are prefixed with either "IS ALERT" or "IS
Announce" depending on the notification being sent.

If I am alerting users to a new virus or email etc, I send and IS
ALERT.  If we are notifying users of downtime or maintenance etc, we
send an IS Announce.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers
Leigh

Leigh Vincent
Information Security Officer
Information Services
University of Ballarat
PO Box 663
BALLARAT   VIC   3353

Tel: +61 3 5327 9386
Mobile: 0439 357 203
e-Mail: l.vincent at ballarat.edu.au
http://www.ballarat.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Number:  00103D

>>> "Tim Lane" <tlane at scu.edu.au> 13/05/2008 3:04 pm >>>
Hi All,

I regularly send out emails to staff and students advising on phishing
scams, general security alerts, password changes etc.  As the frequency
of
targeted phishing scams increase, I continue to get more queries by
staff
and students questioning if the very emails I send to staff and
students are
valid or a scam.

I would be interested in knowing how other institutions are providing
increasing assurance to staff and students that emails from their IT
or
Security section are valid.

Examples might include disclaimers, digital signatures or encryption
etc,
but if this is an area you have looked at and addressed could you
please
advise.

Thanks,

Tim