[unisog] VOIP considerations checklist?

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed May 21 22:00:10 GMT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 05:34:41PM -0400, Pete Hickey wrote:

<snip>

> As far as power/redundancy..  It used to be that people expected
> phones to work even when the power was gone.  These days, they
> are expecting the network (certainly the wireless) to work when
> power is down, and they couldn't care less about the phone.  At
> least that is the feedback I'm getting.

	Thats the line the my boss likes to use :-) VOIP is no worse than
cell service. The difference that I see (which may or may not turn out to be
signifigant) is a cell phone looks like a cell phone, a typical VOIP phone
(at least here) looks like a real analog Mitel phone, it just isn't.
	As well one for the "what were they thinking" file: I had a dual mode
phone for a while VOIP with an analog backup port. The only problem was it
had a wall wart and if the wall wart didn't have power but the POTS line
still had 90 volts, the phone still didn't work. Now to be fair (if there
is any reason to be fair with VOIP) that may be a legal network load issue
on the pots line, the VOIP bits may need too much power but still ...