[unisog] VoIP UPS Considerations

Doug Doran doran.doug at gmail.com
Mon May 26 16:30:06 GMT 2008

Hello,

We are currently examining the implications of using UPSs for all our
VoIP wiring closets.  We have done this up until now.  I have been made
aware however of a few institutions that provide UPS power for the
building head end switches but do not provide UPS power for all their
POE switches.  They simply provide emergency TDM phones for each work
area or floor.  I am doing a survey that I will post the statistical
results to the list without identifying institutions.

Please respond if you would like.

1.  Has your institution deployed over 200 VoIP phones? (y/n)
2.  Is it your practice to provide UPS power to all VoIP POE switches? (y/n)
3. If you deploy UPSs for POE switches what is your power out run time?
4. If you do not deploy UPSs for all POE switches do you deploy
traditional phones for backup? (y/n)
5. If you answered yes to Q4 how do you determine the frequency of
traditional phone deployment?

Thanks,

Doug Doran MSc, BEd
Manager, Network Services