[unisog] Illinois state law gives IT responsibility to reportcrime

Harris, Michael C. HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu
Thu Oct 2 16:00:18 GMT 2008

Missouri has had law on the books for a while now that technical workers
that discover child porn on machines they are working on must disclose
it to law enforcement.  We try to route those as a security events
through our information security group because we have a preexisting
relationship with law enforcement and the computer forensic training to
contain evidence if needed. We also include awareness of this issue in
training of our IT staff.

	Missouri Revised Statutes
	Chapter 568
	Offenses Against the Family
	Section 568.110
	http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5680000110.HTM

	August 28, 2007

	Professional's duty to report on film, photographs, videotapes,
failure to report, penalty--exceptions.
	568.110.
	1. Any film and photographic print processor, computer provider,
installer or repair person, or
	any Internet service provider who has knowledge of or observes,
within the scope of the person's
	professional capacity or employment, any film, photograph,
videotape, negative, slide, or
	computer-generated image or picture depicting a child under the
age of eighteen years engaged in an act
	of sexual conduct shall report such instance to the law
enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the
	case immediately or as soon as practically possible.

	2. Failure to make such report shall be a class B misdemeanor.

	3. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a
provider of electronic communication services
	or remote computing services to monitor any user, subscriber or
customer of the provider, or the content
	of any communication of any user, subscriber or customer of the
provider.

	(L. 1984 H.B. 1255, A.L. 2000 S.B. 757 & 602)

Here is a review of several other state similar laws

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/lis/kidnet/reportreq0603.htm