[unisog] Illinois state law gives IT responsibility to report crime

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Fri Oct 3 13:16:01 GMT 2008

Frank Bulk wrote:
> http://www.hrtechnews.com/state-law-gives-it-responsibility-to-report-crime/
>
> Perhaps I've been living in a corner, but I didn't know that it's now a law
> in 6 states for IT workers to report criminal activity they discover on
> their employers' computers.
>
> Are managers in these states training their staff in regards to this issue?
> What's your experience been?

There is an applicable federal law too. Since it makes no distinction
between private and public "electronic service providers" I interpret
that as covering IT departments that offer those services. But I'm
not a lawyer.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/42/chapters/132/subchapters/iv/sections/section_13032.html

--
Gary Flynn