[unisog] Guidance needed (cellular detection)

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Mon Dec 7 23:11:44 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 03:30:29PM -0500, J. Oquendo wrote:

> Hey all, looking at what outside of policies is anyone doing concerning
> cellular in the classroom. Any and all information appreciated on/offlist.
>
> I prefer not to get into the politics or morals of it, but has anyone
> been tasked with deploying anything similar:
> http://www.cellbusters.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
> Please do not confuse this with jamming.
>
> Any and all information is appreciated.
>
> --

	This topic used to come up occasionally (although in regards to
shutting down wireless access in exam rooms). We used to point out that
wireless (and only our wireless at that, as we couldn't legally block
ad hoc access points without jamming which is illegal in Canada), blue tooth,
and cell (which it looks like this device may fix) are only the alternate
vectors we could think off off the top of our heads. As it would have been a
signifigant amount of work to modify the wireless network to do this, we
(at least up until I retired) had resisted doing so. We expect there are a lot
more vectors that students could think of and this is trying to solve a policy
problem with technology which rarely works. Think also about PDAs, watches
with memo pads (for storing cheat sheets) and who knows what else.
	That said this device would be a relatively painless way of doing some
of the job (although I'd be sure to point out it isn't fool proof), and thus
may be a good bet. Consider though that in most environments it is going to
complain about phones in the hall way outside the exam room / lecture theatre
as the RF happily leaks through most walls.

Peter Van Epp