[unisog] Remote Access to Staff Desktops

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 08:50:46 GMT 2009

Tim Lane wrote:
> We are receiving an increasing number of requests from staff to remotely
> access their desktops, for a variety of reasons.
>
> I would be interested in hearing if any other Universities allow this,
> and if so how you are providing secure access, or if you have any
> thoughts/comments on the matter.

We're using Sun's Secure Global Desktop for this (among other things).
Staff only need a browser with Java on the remote machine. You only need
a firewall hole to the (Unix) SGD server. No fiddly VPNs to set up. No
staff home machines on your network via VPNs. http://www.sun.com/sgd

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Microcomputer Support Manager

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk