[unisog] background checks on IT employees

McDonnell, Michael michael.mcdonnell at ualberta.ca
Tue Feb 24 20:22:51 GMT 2009

In my jurisdiction, an employer cannot go to the police to have a check
done. The employee must make the request and then the police provide a
document to the employee, who then decides if he/she wants to provide it to
the employer.  For jobs where there are "persons at risk involved" (i.e.
children), an employer can request that all staff be checked by the police.
The police do not give the employer any details just a summary of which
employees are "clean" and which are not.  The employees then have to decide
if they want to provide detailed background checks to the employer (or get
fired potentially for not disclosing why they were not "clean").

The University I work for did not request a criminal records check from me
when I joined.  I thought that was weird, because other employers have done
it.

There is more to background checks than just police records checks though.
Many employers will also perform a credit check on employees.  I think the
logic is that if someone is heavily in debt, you wouldn't want them to work
in your finance department.  I'm not sure what other justification they
would have.  I have known a few companies (previous clients of mine, not my
employers) who performed credit checks on all labourers and sales staff (but
not management).  I could never understand their logic.

I've never heard of a University doing a credit check.  I wouldn't consent
to one unless I worked in position with substantial unsupervised purchasing
authority.

--
Michael McDonnell, GCIA
Network Security Analyst