[unisog] Password Reset Procedures - How do you do it?

John Grover jgrover at maine.edu
Sat Jun 6 10:52:04 GMT 2009

Randy,

Here at UMS we have a self-service page (that fac/staff and students can
use) to do password resets via user generated questions and answers. We need
some retooling in that area and in particular I don't think the user
generated questions turned out to be such a good idea.

There is a discussion right now on the educause IDM list about password
distribution and service that you may find helpful -
http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=IDM

One idea I got from it that I hadn't considered before is that the questions
should be opinion based because it may be harder for me to know your opinion
of something than to know a fact about you.

John Grover
Assoc. Director, Systems and Operations
University of Maine System