[unisog] Managed host based firewalls

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Jun 18 17:35:14 GMT 2009

Clark Gaylord <cgaylord at vt.edu> wrote:

> What's wrong with Windows Firewall? It works better than most, stays
> out of the way, no installation to manage, easily managed via GPO -- I
> don't get it. Granted it isn't ipfilter or even iptables, but nothing
> is on Windows and GPO is sweet and easy.

I think one of the key things was the centralised *logging* part.
Although I am fortunate enough to have nothing to do with the Windows
world, as far as I was aware the Event logger rarely contains anything
particularly useful/usable and getting it exported to a central system
involves usually some kind of syslog converter do-fango.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Blow it out your ear.