[unisog] MS Security Essentials and Forefront Client Security academic licensing

Brian Smith-Sweeney bsmithsweeney at nyu.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:17:09 GMT 2009

Confirmed, MS says the license applies "for any country [they've]
formally launched", which includes Canada.  For other folks: if you're
not in the US and are unsure whether or not this applies to you, I
suggest contacting your local MS representative.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Smith-Sweeney wrote:
> Good question!  I assume the answer is the license holds just fine,
> but have reached out to MS for confirmation.  I'll let you know what I
> hear.
>

> On Oct 26, 2009, at 9:30 AM, "James A. McCloskey" <jamesm at uwo.ca> wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>> Many thanks for sharing this information.
>>
>> As co-chair of the CUCCIO Information Security Special Interest
>> Group <http://www.cuccio-cdpiuc.ca/en/special-interest-groups/security.php
>>> (representing some 3 dozen Canadian HE institutions), I wonder if
>> you are able to provide any clarity on the applicability of the MSE
>> licensing breakthrough for non-US institutions.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> James A. McCloskey, CISSP
>> Central Information Security Officer
>> Information Technology Services
>> University of Western Ontario
>> jamesm at uwo.ca
>> 519-661-2111 x. 81091
>>

>> Brian Smith-Sweeney wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> A number of higher-education security professionals have expressed
>>> some
>>> concern over the licensing terms for Microsoft Security Essentials,
>>> officially released late September.  The "Use" section of that
>>> license
>>> includes the following language[1]:
>>>
>>> "Use. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on
>>> your devices in your household for use by people who reside there
>>> or for
>>> use in your home-based small business. "
>>>
>>> The REN-ISAC Microsoft Analysis Team[2] has been pursuing a
>>> cost-effective antivirus solution for higher-education with Microsoft
>>> for some time,  and so took it upon ourselves to get approval for the
>>> use of Security Essentials for students in higher ed.  I am pleased
>>> report that we have received the following official word from
>>> Microsoft:
>>>
>>> "   * PCs owned by an academic institution should use Forefront
>>> Client
>>> Security (this includes faculty machines owned and managed by the