[unisog] Bonjour Sleep Proxy Server issues

Irwin Tillman irwin at princeton.edu
Fri Sep 18 09:39:19 GMT 2009

"Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy at linuxwiz.net> wrote:

> DHCP snooping on your switching infrastructure, properly implemented,
> should take care of this issue, should it not?

Yes, it should be able to.

It's not an approach we can use here, both because many of our clients are
attached via switch ports that don't support this, and because we permit clients
(on most networks) to use manual configuration instead of DHCP, but indeed this
approach might be a possibility in other environments.

Krassimir Todorov <krassimir.todorov at epfl.ch> wrote:

> The Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Proxy_Service#Implementations says:
>   Computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard act as a Bonjour sleep proxy
>   server when Internet sharing is enabled.

Yes, that's what I'm seeing.

I wonder if the intent was to offer the service only to devices on the Internet
Sharing server's "downlink" rather than (also?) to devices on the same network
as the server's uplink (as is evidently happening).

Irwin Tillman
OIT Network Systems / Princeton University