[unisog] Using Constant Contact campaigns and dealing with spam/content filters

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Nov 22 07:56:44 GMT 2010

We have the same problem here, although not too severely -- also, the agency that was picked by the people who shall remain unnamed turned out to be a known spammer, with a low reputation score in the Ironport filters, and hence was rate-limited severely at our border until we were forced to whitelist them (and with them, all of their spam of course).

There is also the problem that these external agencies send email as if from our domain, and so any SPF records we post would cause them to be tagged as forgeries.

Our current policy states that we should be notified of any mass-email campaigns, whether using external agencies or internal systems, but of course this doesn't always happen.

Ideally, if an external agency has to be used, they should add a recognisable header that we can cause to bypass tagging, although this still wouldn't help with Reputation filters causing rate-limiting or rejection at connect.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead