[unisog] off topic: mass emailing

Rick Hayter rhayter at udallas.edu
Thu Sep 16 20:40:08 GMT 2010

Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm looking for some feedback about
how you are handling requests for mass mailings to internal
constituents.

We get requests for a list of students, or only undergraduate
students, or only sophmores, or faculty, or only adjunct faculty, or
only full time staff, or full time staff minus the people who attended
function X, etc. It's driving us nuts. We've setup some common lists
on our mail server and that handles a lot of it, but sometimes they
want to use a program that's hosted outside that allows them to tailor
the message to different groups, or to create "fancy" content that
doesn't translate well when sent through the list (for some reason...)

Has anyone found a way to handle these kinds of requests? I can't
always say no (sometimes it comes from a VP or the Pres), but because
it's happening more often it's starting to impact our productivity -
someone has to be pulled off of another project to interface with the
requestor, find out what they need, generate an email list, etc.

Is there a software package that allows users to make their own
request for this data (we're a Banner school)? Is there an outsourced
solution? If so, how do you keep the addresses up to date and
"categorized" correctly?

Any pointers (or even sympathy) would be appreciated!
--
Rick Hayter, Director of Administrative Computing
University of Dallas, 1845 E. Northgate, Irving, TX 75062