[unisog] off topic: mass emailing

Peter C. Lai peter at simons-rock.edu
Wed Sep 22 00:39:20 GMT 2010

On 2010-09-21 06:40:06AM +0000, Andrew Cormack wrote:
> [...]

This is what certain commercial companies exist to do. There are companies
like Convio and Vertical Response that will mail constituents on your
institution's behalf. You contract with them to provide "spam" support
services based on volume of email (usually some sort of prorated
# of emails per semester * # of contacts per email sent). You set their
mail servers as authenticated senders in your SPF records to avoid problems
with forged .edu envelopes.

One of the advantages to outsourcing is they handle all of the bouncebacks,
double-opt-out/canspam unsubscriptions, and whitelisting.

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428