[unisog] off topic: mass emailing

Derek Diget diget+unisog at unix.cc.wmich.edu
Wed Sep 22 15:52:05 GMT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010 at 20:39 -0400, Peter C. Lai wrote:
=>This is what certain commercial companies exist to do. There are companies
=>like Convio and Vertical Response that will mail constituents on your
=>institution's behalf. You contract with them to provide "spam" support
=>services based on volume of email (usually some sort of prorated
=># of emails per semester * # of contacts per email sent). You set their
=>mail servers as authenticated senders in your SPF records to avoid problems
=>with forged .edu envelopes.

They (the ESP) should not be using your .edu address in the RFC5821.From
address and therefore should not need to be in your SPF record.  They
should be using their own addresses (and SPF record) in the RFC5821.From
address.  The RFC5822.From should be your .edu address so that a user
can reply correctly.

I see several ESPs trying to use the RFC5821.From address that matches
the RFC5822.From and shake my head.  I know if I were to recommended an
ESP it would not be one of those as by doing it they have shown a lack
of clue with regards to e-mail.  Not what you want from an ESP.

=>One of the advantages to outsourcing is they handle all of the bouncebacks,
=>double-opt-out/canspam unsubscriptions, and whitelisting.

If the ESP is using your .edu address in the RFC5821.From address then
they will NOT be handling the bounce-backs, you will be.  See above why
the RFC5821.From should be theirs while the RFC5822.From should be
yours.