[unisog] off topic: mass emailing

Paul FM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Thu Sep 23 01:15:13 GMT 2010

To clarify:
The Envelope From should be theirs.
The Message Header From: should be yours.

The Envelope From and To are used by the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent - AKA mail
server) to route the message and return it to the sender if there is a
problem.  The envelope is not included in the message when it is delivered
(although information from it can be added to the message headers by MTAs).

The Message Header From: and To: are what you see in the message and are
(usually) not used by the MTA - they are used by the mail client
(Thunderbird, Outlook, webmail clients, etc.).

Think of the MTA as an Administrative Assistant who opens your letters and
tosses the envelopes (you only get the letters - which if put together in the
Formal manner have the From address at the top of the letter).  Yes - you can
send messages without a message To: or From: header (it just could but does
not have to be added by an MTA using the envelope information).

Of course another way to handle this situation is to set up a separate mail
server to handle lists like this (which would use an Envelope From that
points directly to the server -  like bounces at bulkmail.example.com  instead
of to the domain bounces at example.com).  That way, if it gets on a spam list,
your main mail servers and official addresses aren't blocked (it should know
all the forwards your main mail server knows so it can avoid sending through
the main server when not needed).