[unisog] Computer Forensics Community Page @SANS

Rob Lee rlee at sans.org
Thu Feb 24 14:49:13 GMT 2011

All,

If you could, could you drop a link on your .edu sites to our community page
that has a lot of free resources?  http://computer-forensics.sans.org

Just a few of the things we are doing for for you are listed below.  We are
trying to let the education community know they can utilize our SIFT workstation
in their own courses as well.  Just send me a short note so I can drop your name
on the list.  The SIFT workstation is a free download at the site above.

Best,
Rob

SANS has continued to develop our community outreach pages on the website to
include a very popular blog to help the industry.

Digital Forensic Blog - http://computer-forensics.sans.org/blog

SANS and Rob Lee developed this blog and the related resources at
computer-forensics.sans.org to provide a “home” for those that are focused on
computer forensics, digital investigations, and incident response. Here you will
find advice, research, training, and other resources to unravel incidents and
fight crime.

SANS Investigative Forensic Toolkit (SIFT) Workstation -
https://computer-forensics2.sans.org/community/siftkit

SANS SIFT Workstation Overview
• VMware Appliance
• Ready to tackle forensics
• Cross compatibility between Linux and
Windows
• Forensic tools preconfigured
• A portable lab workstation you can now
use for your investigations
• Option to install stand-alone via (.iso) or
use via VMware Player/Workstation
• Download from http://computerforensics.sans.org/community

Faculty Fellow Rob Lee created the SANS Investigative Forensic Toolkit (SIFT)
Workstation featured in the Computer Forensic Investigations and Incident
Response course (FOR 508) in order to show that advanced investigations and
investigating hackers can be accomplished using freely available open-source
tools.

The SANS SIFT Workstation is a VMware Appliance that is pre-configured with all
the necessary tools to perform a detailed digital forensic examination. It is
compatible with Expert Witness Format (E01), Advanced Forensic Format (AFF), and
raw (dd) evidence formats. The brand new version has been completely rebuilt on
an Ubuntu base with many additional tools and capabilities that can match any
modern forensic tool suite. It has the ability to securely examine raw disks,
multiple file systems, and evidence formats. And it also places strict
guidelines on how evidence is examined (read-only) verifying that the evidence
has not changed.